ACT I TUNES
Song selection touches on 3 areas of the man’s genius:
Broadway, Symphonic (Rhapsody) and Opera (Porgy & Bess)
1) STRIKE UP THE BAND - Ethel Merman and Ensemble
2) LADY BE GOOD - Fred & Adele Astaire - Dance Only
4) LET'S CALL THE WHOLE THING OFF – Fred & Adele Astaire & Ensemble
5) LIZA - Al Jolson
6) SOMEBODY LOVES ME – Ensemble / EMBRACEABLE YOU / Director choice as to singer / OUR LOVE IS HERE TO STAY – Don Wilson
(We invite the audience to come to the stage and dance during this medley)
7) BUT NOT FOR ME – Ethel Merman Feenamint Commercial
8) BESS YOU IS MY WOMAN NOW - Anne Brown and Paul Whiteman
9) FASCINATIN' RHYTHM – Fred & Adele & Ensemble
10) STAIRWAY TO PARADISE - Paul "Pops" Whiteman & Ensemble
11) MEDLEY - Ensemble
ACT II TUNES
1) RHAPSODY IN BLUE – George Gershwin (18 minutes ) * (Optional)
2) LOVE IS SWEEPING THE COUNTRY – Ensemble / 'S WONDERFUL - Fred Astaire / OF THEE I SING – Ensemble
3) THE MAN I LOVE – Director Choice
4) THEY ALL LAUGHED – Ensemble
(The audience is invited to come onto the stage and dance)
5) CAN'T TAKE THAT AWAY FROM ME – Ensemble
6) SOMEONE TO WATCH OVER ME - Pops Whiteman
7) SUMMERTIME - Anne Brown
8) SWANEE - Al Jolson
7. EMBRACEABLE YOU – Director Choice
9) CLAP YO HANDS - Jimmy Durante & Ensemble
10) I GOT RHYTHM - Ethel Merman and Ensemble
Complete orchestrations available for added instruments. Please ask us for details.
For Licensing and Rental Info: Greer@GreerFirestone.com
ALL TUNES AVAILABLE ON FULLY ORCHESTRATED TRACKS
DIALOGUE: Much of the dialogue is first person, most notably with the two most renown invitees, Merman and Jolson.
HISTORY:Couched in the dialogue set-ups are references to the derivation of “Tin Pan Alley”, Gershwin’s research for “Porgy & Bess”, his impact on a new “American” music, etc.
SPONSOR: Feenamint – That Delicious Chewing Gum Laxative (which in truth sponsored Gershwin radio shows)
MUSIC:23 Gershwin tunes covering the three genres of his genius: Broadway, symphonic and folk opera. Plus a Gershwin medley!
MUSICIANS: George at the grand piano center stage on riser. Drums, stand up bass and horn/reed double.
ACT I – Intro of characters and their distinct personalities.
ACT II – Full steam ahead with Gershwin music and sparse dialogue
SYNOPSIS: Greer Firestone.com, part of the writing web, wrote Gershwin, by George: The 1936 Radio Show in 2000. This is the first ever musical incorporating GG's Broadway, operatic and symphonic masterpieces.
TIME: Spring 1936
PLACE: George Gershwin’s Art Deco detailed penthouse Manhattan apartment
FORMAT: 1930’s radio show with your guests as the radio audience. The audience will be referred to throughout.
ATMOSPHERE: Re-creating the feel of 1930’s radio with Applause Walkers, period costuming and distinctive ‘30’s musical interpretation.
CHARACTERS: Mr. Gershwin’s party hosts Broadway icons who made George’s songs their signatures. Our actor/singers will caricature the voices, looks, postures and mannerisms of these legendary figures; our Fred & Adele will dance like Fred & Adele!
Written by Greer Firestone